finding forrester

Thursday, May 24, 2012

billy and all the other old souls

so i like me some billy joel. i fell in love with the piano man way back in high school and yes, it was waaaaay back (10 years to be exact). there is just something about his music that speaks to my inner old soul. i got to see him and elton john together in concert about 10 years ago...the dueling pianos and the guy who got busted for smoking pot in front of us really made it the best concert i've ever been to in my life. it's tough when your best concert experience peaks at 18...at least it didn't peak at say backstreet boys or somesuch nonsense (never saw them in concert. honest!) the only concert semi-regret was having to sit through no doubt opening up for U2. poor no doubt. why are they getting back together? does anyone have an answer to this?

the second best concert i've ever been to was the eagles. yeah, i know what you are thinking now. have i ever been to a concert for a group that actually was popular to my demographic? and to that i would say, yes, however the best concerts were the ones that were not birthed in my generation. no one has been able to hold a candle to these old dogs in my opinion. now i can bust-a-move to some bieber and a few others i am slightly embarrassed to say can be found on my ipod but HEY, don't judge, they's good exercisin' music.

but when it comes to what i want evelyn to grow up hearing, what she has already heard, will be a heavy layering of my main man, billy, and many of his cohorts. and if we don't keep their spirits alive for the next generation who will? so every day the house fills with the nostalgic sounds of billy, bobby, joni and we sing and dance the day away.

Things are okay with me these days
I got a good job, I got a good office
I got a new wife, got a new life
And the family is fine...
~ billy joel

1 comment:

  1. Me and Dan echo these sentiments to the hilt! As I was reading this I kept nodding my head in agreement :)

    We went to see The Black Keys a while ago and it was weird because there were so many "youths" there. We felt really uncomfortable that it wasn't mostly middle-aged people...who are the regular crowd for the concerts we frequent!

    ReplyDelete